Doing Business The Easy Way
Like most other cities today, Cumberland has a host of Internet servers to choose from when setting up home or office. Local companies benefit from a mid-Atlantic fiber optic network that provides start-of-the-art, high speed Internet access and transmissions.
The Other Good News
Cumberland is also a designated HUB Zone which means that businesses locating in town are given preferential treatment in bidding on contracts for work with the federal government.
Need Some Incentive?
When it comes to recruitment, Cumberland and Allegany County are serious about wanting your business. Large or small, the City has a variety of incentives that can help you to locate your business here. Here are just a few of the business programs and incentives that we currently have in place:
- Enterprise Zone Tax Credits – Income tax and real property tax credits in return for job creation and investments
- One Maryland Tax Credit – Project and start-up tax credits for investments in Cumberland
- Lenders Loan Pool – Loans are provided at a competitive interest rate for a maximum of 60 months and can be used for expenses such as inventory, leasehold improvements, equipment, and receivables.
- City of Cumberland Historic Tax Incentive – A 10% credit for up to five years, can be deducted from the property owner’s annual City property taxes for qualified renovations with a minimum expenditure of $5,000.
- Arts & Entertainment Tax Credit Program – A tax credit/freeze on City real properties wholly or partially constructed or renovated to be capable for use by a qualifying artist or arts enterprise based on the level of improvements made to the property.
- Maryland Historic Trust Grant Programs – The Maryland Historical Trust administers six separate grant programs that assist in a wide variety of historic preservation-related activities.
- Upper Story Tax Credit – A 50% tax credit on certain investments made into existing commercial structures
- Maryland Neighborhood Business Works Program – A gap financing loan program providing competitively-priced, flexible financing for the costs associated with business startup and expansion to new or expanding small businesses and non-profits.
- Federal Tax Incentive Program – Enables the owners of a historic structure to receive a federal tax credit up to 20% of the cost of a certified rehabilitation.
- More Jobs for Marylanders Tax Credit – Tax credits are available to new and existing manufactures that locate or expand in Maryland and create new manufacturing jobs.
- Cyber Security Investment Incentive Tax Credit – a refundable income tax credit to Qualified Maryland Cybersecurity Companies that secure investment from investors.
- Western Maryland Small Business Development Center – Providing high-quality training, confidential consulting, and market and industry research to Maryland’s small businesses.
Each program has its own application process and corresponding requirements. Contact Matt Miller at 240-522-6114 or [email protected] for more details.